SUKHUM -- The Minister for Foreign Affairs Sergey Shamba received the co-chairman of the Geneva consultations from the United Nations Johan Verbeke. The results of today's meeting in Gal within the framework of the mechanism on incidents prevention in a zone of the Georgian-Abkhaz conflict were being discussed at the meeting.
Sergey Shamba mentioned the situation in the Gal district of Abkhazia stabilized. “The situation in the border district is controlled, despite numerous Georgia’ statements for worsening of the situation after the Russian border guards have been entered there”, the Minister said.
No serious criminal cases have been registered in the Gal district. “If they were, the Georgian party would not disregard them at the meeting”, Shamba said.
Johan Verbeke shared his impressions of the Gal meeting. The U.N. diplomat considers that “recently it is possible to speak about stability concerning Georgia and Abkhazia”.
Verbeke highlights these meetings promoting, in his opinion, stability in the region. “The number of registered incidents is decreasing, and during the meetings it became clear the registered so-called incidents were not so large-scaled”, Verbeke said.
However the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Abkhazia Sergey Shamba doesn’t share Johan Verbeke’s optimism regarding "stabilization" of relations between Georgia and Abkhazia.
The Abkhaz party has no doubt regarding continuation of Gal meetings as they have a positive result. “Nevertheless there is a discussion, there is a place for an exchange of opinions”, he added. At the same time the Minister for Foreign Affairs emphasized that “continuation of Georgia’s militarization cannot but worries Abkhazia.
“Georgia is arming intensively, drones keep on flying, the military contingent in the Western Georgia is increasing, redeployment of artillery subdivision from Gori to Vaziani is being carried out”, Shamba stressed.
The Minister reminded Johan Verbeke that the incident with seizure in neutral waters of the ship with cargo bound to Abkhazia is not settled till now. “This item hasn’t been removed from the agenda. We will consider the incident settled when the cargo and the ship are returned”, Shamba declared.
The Geneva process moderators should take into consideration that Georgia continues with the former policy of forcing the situation. “Georgia with its provocative actions at sea is forcing the situation”, the Minister believes.
Georgia’s actions made Abkhazia to ask Russia for help to promote security at sea. “Russian military ships patrol the Abkhaz water area, and in case of need their number will be increased”, the Minister said.
“Ceaseless militarization of Georgia doesn’t promote stability in the Caucasus. On the contrary, it can lead to new tensions”, Shamba considers.
The co-chairman of the Geneva consultations on security in the Caucasus, the Special Representative of the Secretary General of the United Nations Johan Verbeke visited Sukhum last time as the Special Representative. “It’s my last official visit to Sukhum. If I leave, it doesn’t mean that the United Nations leave, on the contrary the United Nations will continue working to draw the positions of the parties together”, Johan Verbeke declared.
The U.N. diplomat considers necessary to continue meetings within the framework of the mechanism on incidents prevention in a zone of the Georgian-Abkhaz conflict.
From July 14 till December 8, 2009 ten meetings have been held in the city of Gal. According to J. Verbeke, the atmosphere at these meetings was gradually changing, some kind of trust showed up between the participants.
“I’m convinced of dialogue development between the parties in the conflict as it gives the chance to discuss urgent problems openly”, Verbeke said.
- Independence means stability – Abkhazian foreign minister
- My bet is that among the next five countries to recognise Abkhazia will be United States of America. – An Interview with Maxim Gunjia
- Citizens of Abkhazia Strive to Shape Sovereign Nation
- President Aleksandr Ankvab Received the Permanent Director of the UN Development Program, Niels Scott
- Turkish Abkhazians enjoying independence of their far away country
- Letter of the President of Abkhazia Sergey Bagapsh to the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon
- Message from The MFA Abkhazia to the UN representatives on the upcoming discussion of the problem of refugees in Georgia
- Abkhaz Response to President Saakashvili's UNGA Speech
- Open letter to the Vice-President of the United States Mr. Joseph Biden
- Statement of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs concerning terrorist acts in Gal district of Abkhazia on the 6th of July 2008
- Statement from the Press-Service for the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Abkhazia
- Statement From The Press-Service For The Ministry For Foreign Affairs of The Republic of Abkhazia
- Statement from the Press Service for the Ministry for the Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Abkhazia
- Statement of the Peoples Assembly of the Parliament of the Republic of Abkhazia to the General Secretary of the UN, Chairman of Security Council of the UN, Parliaments of the Countries of the World
- The Deputy Foreign Minister I.R. Khintba Meets with the UNHCR Representatives
- Talks took place on 24 January between the leadership of the Abkhaz Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the co-chairmen of the Geneva Discussions on Security and Stability in the South Caucasus
- The first volume of “UN Documents on Abkhazia” was published
- May 17 is the birthday of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Abkhazia
- The meeting of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Abkhazia, Viacheslav Chirikba with the delegation of the European Union
- Viacheslav Chirikba: "We simply will not read these letters"
- Abkhazia - a European democratic country, open to cooperation and dialogue - Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Foreign Minister Viacheslav Chirikba met UN delegation
- Politics: Maxim Gundjia’s commenting on the Abkhazia-EU issue
- In Sukhum Saakashvili's verbal commitment is not believed
- Abkhazia may accept the deployment of UN observers on its territory
- UNPO Resolution: Lifts Sanctions on Abkhazia, Promotes Repatriation to Circassia
- Foreign Minister Maxim Gvindzhia Considers Abkhazia's Position at Geneva Talks Constructive
- Maxim Gvindzhia appointed Abkhazian foreign minister
- Potsdam University professor Dieter Boden in Abkhazia on AGU Invitation
- At present the Ecuadorian side is scrutinizing thoroughly the given materials - Sergey Shamba
- Abkhazian delegation visits L America to develop relations with its countries
- 7th round of Geneva discussions on stability in Transcaucasia begins
- UN mission to withdraw from Abkhazia by July 15
- Stanislav Lakoba: UN last report has to be changed but gist and content remained the same
- Leadership of Abkhazia hope for the possibility of further partner cooperation with the United Nations Organization, may be on a new basis already - Sergey Shamba
- Abkhazia’s presence at Geneva debate depends on UN SecGen report
- Un Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon Proposes to Create New Security Regime Between Georgia and Abkhazia
- U.S. again refuses visas to breakaway Abkhazia officials for UN visit
- Russia sends the UN mission packing from Georgia-Abkhazia
- Lavrov: UN Should Consider News Realities in Georgia and Abkhazia
- Abkhazian Foreign Minister Maxim Gvindzhia Calls Unjust and Biased The UN General Assembly Resolution on the Conflict in Georgia
- Stanislav Lakoba - Georgian security forces are trying to destabilize the situation in the Gal district of Abkhazia
- The Abkhaz side has expressed serious concern in connection with the creation of illegal armed formations in Georgia
- Co-chairmen of the Geneva Talks to take part in a seminar in Pitsunda
- The Ministry of Economy held a meeting with Representatives of the UNDP
- Abkhazia Says Tbilisi Is Spying
- MFA of Abkhazia: The USA use double standards policy, ignore historic facts and justify Georgia’s aggressive policy
- Khatazhukov: world community must recognize independence of Abkhazia and South Ossetia
- The Republic of Abkhazia’s Union of Volunteers and Adyghe Khase of the Republic of Abkhazia congratulate the people of Abkhazia
- Abkhazia-Aconcagua 2012
- A book about Hero of Abkhazia Sultan Sosnaliev has been launched in Sukhum
- On 28 June in the conference-hall of the hotel "Atrium Victoria" there will be a presentation of a book of memories of Sultan Sosnaliev, entitled "Honour is Dearer than Life."
- A memorial evening for Sultan Sosnaliev held in Nalchik
- An Endangered Language, by Vitali Sharia
- Rector of the Abkhazian State University, Aleko Gvaramia, awarded the international prize "United Europe"
- UNPO: A Unique Force for Peace After Twenty Years
- Resolution of the People's Assembly Parliament of the Republic of Abkhazia
- UNPO Resolution on the Issue of the Repatriation of Deported Abkhaz during the Russian Caucasian War and the Legitimacy of the regime Sanctions against Abkhazia
- Declaration on Measures for A Political Settlement of the Georgian/Abkhaz Conflict Signed on 4 April 1994
- UNPO: Human Rights Report Mission Abkhazia 1992-1994
- UNPO: November 1992 Mission to Abkhazia
- Diasporal Policy and the Formation of the Abkhaz State, by Yuri G. Argun
- The Disappearance of Taif Adzhba and the Amnesty International Report of 1993
- A Shattered Dream in Georgia: EU Probe Creates Burden for Saakashvili, by Uwe Klussmann
- A Personal Perspective from Abkhazia, by Gunda Amza-Natia Hewitt
- Some Chapters from the UNPO’s Abkhazia Report in 1992
- Historical-Legal Factors of Georgian - Abkhazian Relations, MFA Republic of Abkhazia
- New Details of the Methods used by the Intelligence Services, by Olesya Vartanyan
- A Personal Journey towards the Recognition of Abkhaz Independence, by Maurizia Jenkins
- The Circassian question and Abkhazia: historical factors and contemporary challenges by Arda Inal-Ipa
- UN Membership: Recognition of Things as They Are, by Rene Wadlow
- The Gali Obsession, by Richard Berge
- The Human Rights Center Calls Upon the Government of Georgia To Apologize to Abkhaz and Ossetian Peoples in the Name of Georgian State
- Abkhazia in the International Context, by Marino Busdachin
- Latin America: Georgia plays by the rules of Abkhazia, by Levon Galustian
- Abkhazia: two years of independence, by George Hewitt
- Sitting in Limbo, by Nadir Bitiev, Marino Busdachin and Graeme Wood
- The International Legal Status of the Republic of Abkhazia In the Light of International Law, by Viacheslav Chirikba
- Abkhazia’s Independence: What Will Moscow Say? by Aleksander B. Krylov
- Stalin’s Downgrading of Abkhazia from Union Republic Status Decried, by Paul Goble
- Abkhazia’s Statehood in the Post-Soviet Period, by T. M. Shamba, A. U. Neproshin
- Lesson to the West: Abkhazian independence is a fact, by Inal Khashig
- End Double Standards over Kosovo and Abkhazia, by Maxim Gvindzhia
- Abkhazia's Liberation and International Law, by E. K. Adzhindzhal
- Situation In Abkhazia, by Sergei Bagapsh
- RA CCI stands for establishing economic ties with Tunisia
- Meeting with the UN representative Anti Turunen was held in the Abkhazian Foreign Ministry
- 100 million roubles allocated for AGU [Abkhazian State University] ovehaul
- A Screening of the Film "The Last Knights of the 20th Century" Will Take Place in Nalchik
- UN ready to finance projects in Abkhazia for $ 15 million in 2014
- Abkhazia: Issues of citizenship and security
- Inal Agrba Needs Our Help!
- Raul Khadzhimba: ‘We’ll do everything for the volunteers not to stay out of the processes taking place in Abkhazia’
- Autumn Art-open-air takes place in Abkhazia
- Abkhazian Foreign Minister received Deputy Permanent Representative of the UN Development Programme Shombi Sharp
- Raul Khajimba met with representatives of three international organizations
- Western Caucasian Dolmens by V.I. Markovin
- Abkhazian Cultural Centre opened in Samsun
- Tengiz Tarba demonstrates the readiness to put into practice the project 'Mountainous Abkhazia'
- Meeting with the representatives of the University of Genoa was held in the Abkhaz State University
- Prime Minister of Abkhazia Arthur Mikvabia visited Abkhazian State University
- Conciliation Resources: Finding ways forward in the Georgian-Abkhaz context: people in the Gal/i region