Menu
RSS

Selected works of Nicholas Marr

Selected works | 5 volumes

Moscow - Leningrad: State Academy of the History of Material Culture (GAIMK), State Social and Economic Publishing House (GSEI), 1933-1937

Nicholas Yakovlevich Marr; Russian philologist and archeologist, the founder of the “New Linguistic Doctrine” (ca. 1864-1934). N. J. Marr was born in Kutaisi, Georgia, between 1863 and 1865, of a Scottish father and a Georgian mother. After attending the gymnasium in Kutaisi, he entered the Department of Oriental Languages at St. Petersburg University in 1884. His student years were devoted to the study of the languages of the Caucasus and the Near East. He graduated with a silver medal in 1888, and passed his Master’s examinations in 1891, upon which he was appointed a Lecturer in Armenian Studies in his alma mater.

The early part of Marr’s career was dedicated to Armenian and Kartvelian [Georgian] studies. The most significant part of Marr’s scholarly legacy is his editions of Georgian, Armenian, and Arab manuscripts, some of which he discovered during expeditions to the monastery of Aphon (Mt. Athos) in 1898, and to Sinai and Jerusalem in 1902. In addition, he conducted pioneering excavations of the medieval Armenian capital Ani (1892-93, 1904-17), the Armenian Hellenistic temple in Garni (1909-10), and the Urartean fortress Toprakkale (1916). His linguistic works include Old Armenian (1903), Laz (1910), and Old Georgian (1925) grammars, as well as an Abkhazian-Russian dictionary. Most of Marr’s works were written in Russian, but some are in Georgian or Armenian. Read more... 

The full articles can be downloaded in PDF format.

Country

News

Articles & Opinion

Publications

Abkhaz World

Follow Us