SUKHUM -- On 30 September the whole of Abkhazia marks Independence Day and the 21st anniversary of the victory in the Patriotic War of 1992-1993.
On this day, veterans gather, remember the events of 21 years ago, visit the graves, and commemorate their fallen comrades.
At 10:00 the ceremony of laying wreaths and flowers at the memorial to fallen soldiers began. In order to bow their heads before the graves of the defenders of the Motherland there came representatives of the movement "Mothers of Abkhazia for Peace and Social Justice," President Raoul Khadzhimba, Vice-president Vitalij Gabnija, Prime Minister Beslan Butba, Parliament Speaker Valerij Bganba, MPs, members of the government, members of the public and of the Abkhazian diaspora from Turkey and Syria, as well as the clergy of Abkhazia.
After the flower-laying ceremony at the Park of Glory, there was held a parade of troops from the Sukhum garrison in honour of the 21st anniversary of the Victory.
The republic's leaders visited the village of Eshera (Sukhum District) and laid flowers at the memorial complex of the first president of the Republic of Abkhazia, V. G. Ardzinba.
In the evening, at 19:00, on the Embankment of Mukhadzhirs, a gala-concert will take place, dedicated to the 21st anniversary of the Victory in the Patriotic War of the people of Abkhazia (1992-1993).
At 22:00, the night-sky above Sukhum will be lit up by a firework-salute.
- Statement from Abkhaz President on Abkhaz Independence Day
- For twenty years now the West has shirked its responsibility in Abkhazia, by Oliver Urs Lenz
- The Beginnings of a Black Sea Security Community? By Carol Weaver
- Flowers, tears of victory, memories
- Laying ceremony to the 22 anniversary of the Victory was held in Sukhum
- Today Marks the 21th anniversary of the Liberation of Sukhum from Georgian State Council troops
- Karabakh President sends congratulatory address to President of Abkhazia
- A solemn meeting held today (29 September) in Sukhum dedicated to the 20th anniversary of the Victory in the Great Patriotic War of Abkhazia
- Abkhazia marks Independence Day
- On September 30, the country celebrates the 19th anniversary of the Victory in the Abkhaz Great Patriotic War of 1992-1993
- The Republic of Abkhazia’s Union of Volunteers and Adyghe Khase of the Republic of Abkhazia congratulate the people of Abkhazia
- Festive events dedicated to Victory and Independence day of Abkhazia held in hero town of Tkuarchal
- Abkhazia marks 17th anniversary of liberation of Sukhum