SUKHUM -- A group of veterans of the 1992-1993 Patriotic War of the people of Abkhazia has made a statement in connection with the upcoming presidential elections in the Republic of Abkhazia. The veterans call the people of Abkhazia to remain united regardless of the presidential elections results.
Below is the full text of the statement:
‘We, the veterans of the 1992-1993 Patriotic War of the people of Abkhazia independent of political liking to this or that candidate, consider that the people of Abkhazia should remain united regardless of the presidential elections results.
We remember well the confrontation developed during the 2004 elections which has almost led to the irreparable consequences for our people and state.
Only the harmony in the society which can be reached in case of creation of all necessary conditions for holding just, fair, open elections can prevent repetition of similar events. Only such elections results can serve the unity of citizens and will be recognized by the society.
Therefore the elections must be held on the basis of the following necessary conditions:
1. The only document giving the right to vote is the passport of the citizen of the Republic of Abkhazia.
2. With a view to avoid double voting voters are marked along with putting a stamp in a voter’s passport.
3. Issue of passports in the Gal district, as well as in the villages of the Tkuarchal and Ochamchyra districts having been earlier a part of the Gal district is stopped from October 1, 2009.
4. Only those who have received passports till October 1, 2009 will be registered as voters in those settlements. A careful check if they have Georgian citizenship what excludes reception of the Abkhaz citizenship and the right to vote at the presidential elections will be carried out simultaneously.
5. Not more than 10 % of the voters living in the territory of the Republic of Abkhazia can be included in the additional electoral register, relative to the basic register.
6. Copies of protocols with the results of the ballot are given to presidential candidates staffs after the vote is over.
7. “No black PR” from the part of presidential candidates is admissible; candidates are campaigned for correctly taking into account the Abkhaz people’s traditions.
8. Free access for all political forces to the State TV is provided.
9. A public council of public associations, political parties representatives is created at the State TV.
10. We will take necessary measures not to admit political persecution of this or that candidate’s supporters; the candidate who will win the elections is obliged to give respective guarantees. Guarantees are not applied to the people who have violated the law and the order;
11. A permanent Council of veterans of the 1992-1993 Patriotic War of the people of Abkhazia to the President of Abkhazia formed by veterans with a view to promote measures aimed at stability and harmony in the society is created after the elections.