SUKHUM -- The opposition Nationalist Party of Peru submitted to the Peruvian Congress a request to recognize independence of South Ossetia and Abkhazia; the party is convinced the Congress will have no reason to refuse the recognition of the two Transcaucasian republics, the party leader Ollanta Humala said Wednesday.
Humala has become a popular politician in Peru thanks to the nationalist, antiimperialistic and antiamerican ideas. In 2006 he ran for presidency and got 44,56 % of votes (55,45 % voted for the incumbent head of the state Alan Garcia) and received wide backing from the voters in the poorest areas of Peru. The Nationalist Party of Peru he heads is the second important political force in the country.
"Peru is one of the countries that officially recognized independence of Kosovo. So we believe that Abkhazia and South Ossetia also deserve being officially recognized as new republics. This made us submit a request to recognize these two new republics officially to the executive authority (Congress)", Humala said.
He adds the proposal was submitted to the country's Congress last week. Besides the Peruvian Nationalist Party is holding negotiations with various political forces and parliamentary groups calling for their support..
"I hope the work will continue this way and we'll be able to convince the Congress of the necessity to take this decision (on recognition of the two Transcaucasian republics)... I see no obstacles for the executive authority to recognize their independence. If Kosovo has already been recognized, it has no weighty arguments not to recognize South Ossetia and Abkhazia", Humala stressed.
- Independence means stability – Abkhazian foreign minister
- Why Nicaragua recognised South Ossetia and Abkhazia
- Abkhazia's Liberation and International Law, by E. K. Adzhindzhal
- Countries ready to recognize Abkhazia face threats and blackmail
- Politics: Maxim Gundjia’s commenting on the Abkhazia-EU issue
- Visit of Ministry For Foreign Affairs of Abkhazia's Delegation in Latin American Countries Goes On
- Venezuela, Abkhazia to establish diplomatic ties
- Delegation of Abkhazia Continues State Visit to Nicaragua
- President of Abkhazia, His Delegation Arrived in Capital of Nicaragua - Managua
- Delegation of Abkhazia led by President Sergey Bagapsh leaves for Nicaragua, Venezuela
- Foreign Ministers of Abkhazia, Nicaragua Support Mutually Benefical Cooperation Between Countries
- President of Abkhazia to Pay Offical Visit to Nicaragua, Venezuela
- At present the Ecuadorian side is scrutinizing thoroughly the given materials - Sergey Shamba
- Nicaragua open to development of relations with S Ossetia, Abkhazia
- Abkhazia is interested in establishing diplomatic relations with Argentina