UNION TREATY BETWEEN THE SOVIET SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF GEORGIA AND THE SOVIET SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF ABKHAZIA
16 December 1921
The Government of the Soviet Socialist Republic of Georgia on the one hand and the Soviet Socialist Republic of Abkhazia on the other, proceeding from the national unity that exists between the working classes of Georgia and Abkhazia, and with respect of effective protection of the interests of both republics, as well as of the interests of the Revolution through the joint effort, decided to conclude this Treaty; for this purpose the Government of the Soviet Socialist Republic of Georgia nominated its plenipotentiary representative Sergi Kavtaradze and the Soviet Socialist Republic of Abkhazia – Nikoloz Akirtava. The aforementioned representatives, after submitting the credentials, agreed on the following:
1. The Soviet Socialist Republic of Georgia and the Soviet Socialist Republic of Abkhazia are establishing the military, political and financial-economic cooperation with each-other.
2. For the purpose of achieving the aforementioned goals, the both of governments declare united the following Commissariats:
c) Public Economy
d) Post and Telegraph
g) Workers and Peasant Inspectorate
h) Public Commissariat of Justice
i) Maritime transportation
Note: the foreign affairs shall remain fully within the competence of the Soviet Socialist Republic of Georgia
3) The Railway shall be under direct subordination of the Railway Department of the Trans-Caucasus. The foreign trade – under the subordination of the Trade Department of Georgia, Azerbaijan and Armenia.
4) The rules and forms of management of unified Commissariats shall be decided upon special agreement between the both governments.
5) In every regional union, namely within the Federation of the Trans-Caucasus Republics, Abkhazia enters through Georgia, which renders one third of its seats.
6) This Agreement shall come into force after it’s signed.
of the Soviet Socialist Republic of Georgia Kavtaradze
of the Soviet Socialist Republic of Abkhazia N. Akirtava, S. Kartozia
''Struggle for Strengthening the Soviet Power in Georgia''. Tb. 1959, p. 177-178 / in Russian.