(TASS) -- Abkhazia is an absolutely independent state and nobody is going to revise this fact, Russian Vice-Premier Alexander Khloponin said on Tuesday.
By providing aid to Abkhazia Russia does not pursue exclusively state interests. There is a certain responsibility before residents of the country. “Russia extended the hand at once. It was always on hand and lent the shoulder in difficult, non-easy times in the history of Abkhazia,” he said.
Russia favours the creation of the best conditions for their residents’ stay and rest in Abkhazia. “I’d like to make Russian citizens more mobile. To this end, of course, it is necessary to open our internal borders and give people a possibility to move freely,” Khloponin said.
On November 24, Russia and Abkhazia signed the Treaty on Allied Relations and Strategic Partnership that envisions the creation of a common defence and security space. It also mentions joint actions for protecting the Abkhazian-Georgian border.
- Thomas de Waal: The new treaty is not a watershed in Russian-Abkhaz relations
- Interview with Foreign Minister Viacheslav Chirikba
- A Russophobic Rant From Congress by Patrick J. Buchanan
- Statement of the MFA of Abkhazia
- Markedonov: 'Politics is the art of the possible'
- Statement by the press service to the President of the Republic of Abkhazia
- Moscow’s draft of a treaty has not been accepted by Sukhum, by Arda Inal-ipa
- Aslan Basariya: I have the feeling that the people who worked on this treaty had no understanding whatsoever of the specifics of the situation in Abkhazia
- Reports of Abkhazia’s impending annexation are exaggerated
- Arda Inal-Ipa: It’s no wonder that today people recall the events of 1921
- Supporters, opponents of new Russian-Abkhazian treaty to hold rallies in Sukhum
- The political party Amtsakhara addressed the people about convening a meeting
- Raul Khadzhimba meets with Coordination Council of political parties and public organizations of Abkhazia
- Raul Khadzhimba discusses draft treaty on alliance and integration with representatives of Amtsakhara party
- President discusses draft treaty on alliance and integration proposed by Russian side with MPs