SUKHUM -- The election of the President of Abkhazia has ended in the first round.
According to preliminary data, the Central Election Commission declared the morning after the counting of votes that Raul Khadzhimba had gained 50.57% of the votes.
Khadzhimba’s nearest rival, Acting Chairman of the State Security Service of the Republic of Abkhazia, Aslan Bzhania, took 35.91% of the votes. 6.4% voted for acting Defence Minister, Mirab Kishmaria, whilst former Interior Minister, Leonid Dziapshba, took 3.4%. 1.8% of voters voted against all the candidates.
The voter-turnout was about 70%.
- Aslan Bzhania: I very much hope that there will be an end to dividing people in Abkhazia into ‘us’ and ‘them’
- Abkhazia polls being held calmly and without any violations
- Khadzhimba wins the presidential election
- Some 100 people from 24 countries have arrived in Abkhazia in the capacity of international observers
- UNPO to Observe 24 August Presidential Election in Abkhazia
- A polling-station has been opened in Turkey for the election of the President of Abkhazia
- Polling Stations Can be Created in Foreign States Where Abkhaz Diaspora Communities Live
- Musa Shanibov Warns Against a Strident Confrontation between Political Forces in Abkhazia
- Leonid Dzapshba intends to run for president
- The CEC of Abkhazia begins preparations for presidential elections